Monday, November 5, 2012

Let's Talk Beauty, Confidence And Self-Esteem.

Hello sweet readers. Today I would like to talk to you all about self-esteem.
Especially self-esteem in a young girl.

Having been a young girl myself, and also NOW being the MOM of a young girl,
I know first hand how hard it can be to deal with the pressure of having to BE perfect and beautiful.

I grew up always feeling insecure. Not good enough. Too fat. Not pretty enough. I was made fun of.
Kids can be so cruel, and just ridiculous at times. They used my OWN NAME to make fun of my weight.
I was called "Maria Is A Big Fat Bell" and "Maria -Is-A-Bella-Ringing".
I had low self-esteem. And at times its still a struggle to think differently, than I used to about myself.

With that in mind, these Dove® research statistics, I am about to share with you, really come as no shock to me.
However it does make my heart heavy, and fill me with empathy for all the young ladies out there who feel like this!
  • Only 4% of women around the world consider themselves beautiful (up from 2% in 2004)
  • Only 11% of girls globally are comfortable using the word beautiful to describe themselves
  • 72% of girls feel tremendous pressure to be beautiful
  • 80% of women agree that every woman has something about her that is beautiful but do not see their own beauty
  • More than half (54%) of women globally agree that when it comes to how they look, they are their own worst beauty critic
Having been through this kind of stuff has made me want to raise a daughter to have all the confidence in the world! A daughter who will LOVE herself, for HER and not what society will say she is. Not what the mirror will say she is. To be able to confidently say "I am beautiful." (Because she SO is! Inside AND out!)
Not only that, but raise boys who will also be confident, but not cocky.
Who will treat a girl with love and respect. Who will appreciate a girl for more than her looks.
And most importantly for all of my children to KNOW that beauty is so much more than "looks".
Its important to teach them this while they are young. So they don't struggle to fix these issues as they get older. I know, its harder to change your way of thinking as you get older when grew up thinking another.

Its never too early to talk to your child about self-esteem,
to make beauty a source of confidence, NOT anxiety!

Anxiety about beauty begins at an early age, and can even keep girls from doing what they love... I know that is has stopped me along the way, many times. I don't want that for my kids, or any young girl for that matter!

We can change that with a conversation. Reach out to the girl in your life and talk to her about beauty, confidence and self-esteem.

There are actually expert tips and real-world advice to get started with on the Dove® Self-Esteem Wall. Once you’ve had “the talk,” why don't you share your experience to help inspire other moms and mentors.

You can share a sentence, small story, or upload your favorite photo of you and the young girl in your life!

Its Dove's goal to boost confidence in 15 million girls by 2015.


Any time is a good time to start a conversation with a girl in your life about beauty, confidence and self-esteem. If you can sometimes be awkward with words at times (LIKE ME), and are not sure where to start... Dove has a wonderful Let’s Talk toolkit (click the link to download) with some great advice, to help you out.

I encourage you all to join with me to encourage our youth to feel confident and beautiful!
Lets help build their self-esteem! Lets not allow them to grow up struggling with a bad self-image.
Lets love them and encourage them to truly love their selves!

Please feel free to share with me how you may have struggled and overcome your own self-esteem issues.
Have you had "the talk" with your girls, or boys?
If so, How did it go?
If not, I do hope you feel inspired to do so now, lets boost their confidence now! ♥

♥Thanks to Dove for sponsoring today's discussion.

6 comments:

  1. I love this campaign- Dove is such a great company all-around for encouraging self-esteem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that Dove is spreading the word and encouraging us to! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see you on the campaign! Such a great one and so fortunate to be participating as well. Love how personal you made the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are educator or your organization is concerned with the well being of teenagers abput Self Esteem for Teens, I am available to speak at your school or to your organization. If you are looking for personal development Self Esteem for Teens, I offer life and relationship coaching to help you stay connected to yourself and overcome the obstacles that are getting in the way of your happiness of Self Esteem for Teens.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Mommy Made. I hope you enjoyed this post. I look forward to hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...