Wednesday, April 25, 2012

DIY Pirate Shirts - NO SEW

Brucey's 6th birthday is coming up (on the 29th) and I am working on a PIRATE themed party for him!
I of course wanted him to have a cool pirate shirt to wear!
I thought about buying one, then decided maybe this mommy should MAKE him one.
I had an idea and already had all the supplies on hand.
Here is what I used to create his totally SIMPLE, no sew shirt...
 ~ Plain white tee
 (I usually buy the pack of fruit of the looms shirts for pretty cheap so I always have some on hand)
~ 2 pieces of card-stock paper or cardboard
~Pen or Pencil
~ Black felt
~ Red & white (or just red) fabric
~Scissors
~Liquid Stitch
~ Red & Black Puff Paint
(I hadnt decided if I would want to use the white or not 
to do something on the eye patch, but in the end decided not to.)


First stick ONE piece of cardstock paper (or piece of cardboard) between the shirt.
This way you keep from gluing one side of the shirt to the other!
Then use the other piece of paper to sketch out your design.

I cut out the mustache I drew to have a pattern to follow when cutting the felt.

Right about this time Zander saw me working and asked what I was doing.
I told him I was making a Pirate Shirt for Brucey....
Naturally he wanted one too.
Since I had extra supplied and knew we had another plain shirt in his size,
I decided to go ahead and make Zander one too. :)

Anyways... so as you can see I then cut the mustache and eye patch from the felt.
To cut the eye patch I actually cut one long thing strip FIRST, 
Then I cut a "pocket" like shape for the eye cover.
Next I cut the fabric for the pirates hat.
For that I didnt use a pattern, I just had an idea (from my sketch) of what I wanted it to look like.
Then just cut until I liked how it looked.
Its pretty easy and you cant go wrong, its fine if it isnt perfect.
After all this is a pirate, and they were pretty rugged!
Once you have all your shaped cut out, and arranged how you like on the shirt,
then you can start gluing everything on!
Right about this time, Zander had another question for me...
After all the gluing is done, wait just a few minutes to let it dry.
You can leave it as is, but I wanted to give it all an outline AND secure the fabric/felt too.
So I used puff paint to go around the edges of the cut outs.
I really think the outline really brought it to life more.
Once you have done that, everything needs to set and dry for at least 24 hours!

I just LOVE how they turned out!
And the best part is that Brucey is at school and didnt know I was making him a shirt.
So I know he will be super excited and surprised when he gets home. ♥

What do you think??

13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I just love this idea, the shirts look wonderful, my boys would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cool! You are one crafty mama. Can't believe my boy is going to be 6 already! Have a great party!! Miss you guys

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute idea. I would love it if you would stop by and share it on my Dare to Share party.

    Pam
    http://pamspartyplanning.blogspot.com/2012/04/dare-to-share-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. My seven year old just walked by the computer and said "that looks cool - I want you to make it!" I totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness that is the cutest thing! Thank you for sharing that with me! ♥

      Delete
  5. Made one this weekend for part of a pirate birthday gift! :) i'll link back when i get it up on my blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made it! http://one-crafty-momma.blogspot.com/2012/05/i-think-kids-get-so-overloaded-on-their.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are just ADORABLE!!
    Thank you for sharing!
    I pinned it... so it will go viral now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You don't happen to have your drawings made into a downloadable template, do you? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Mommy Made. I hope you enjoyed this post. I look forward to hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...