Saturday, April 30, 2011

I'm No Cake Boss... But Mommy Made A Guitar Cake! {Tutorial}

So, as I mentioned in my last post..
Yesterday was Bruce Jr.'s Birthday!
My Big boy turned 5!
He has been really into music lately and wanting to learn how
to play daddy's guitar. He asked for a guitar for his birthday.
So we bought a small blue one for him,
and I just had to make him a cake to match! 
You will see pictures below of his real guitar too.
So...
Im going to share with you how I did it so you can make one too! :)
 

Supplies:
I used 3 boxes of cake mix!
This is my FAVORITE brand of cake, its so moist and delicious!
I used 3 cans of frosting.. but only ended up needing 2.
And the royal blue Wilton food coloring.

~ 4 king size rice krispy treats
~mini marshmellows
~ Twizzlers pull & peel
(I originally planned to use black, but every store only had red!)
~ King size Kit Kat Bar
~Black Sparkly piping gel

2 round pans, one bigger than the other.
I love these pans.. they have the spring sides that come off making it
easier to remove the cake!

So after I baked the cakes, I put them side by side (on a cardboard box)
I used the bottom of the smaller cake pan as a template to cut
a slight crescent shape into the bigger cake so that they would fit
together and make the the shape of a guitar body.

Fit the cakes together as in the picture below.

I mixed the frosting with the food coloring.
I did blue because it was the color of the guitar we bought Bruce. :)

And here is what it looks like frosted.

Here is where the krispy treats come in.
I took 2 king size treats and stacked them
(added a little frosting in between to help it stay in place)
This made up the neck of the guitar.

Really starting to take shape as a guitar!

Then I took the remaining 2 treats cut then in half and stacked them:


I took a knife and cut them to the shape of the top part of guitar neck.

And now we have the full guitar shape!
Now you can frost the cake how ever you want.. but like I said before,
I wanted to keep the cake similar to Bruce's guitar.

It was so very exciting seeing this cake come to life and look so
realistic, just from the thoughts and ideas I had in my head! :)

I added some frosting to a sandwich baggie and added more detail:

Next I used the sparkly black gel to add the rest of the details!


Brucey came  around to help eat some of the candy details!

Next I used the twizzlers for the guitar strings, 
and a kit kat bar for where the strings connect at the base.

Next I used mini marshmallows and tooth pics for the tuners.

Added his name.. and I was finished!


These next few pictures I left large.. so you can click them to make
them bigger and get a better look see!



I LOVE how it turned out. 

Guess who else loved it?!
Check out his face when he saw the whole thing finished!



Look Momma, Im 5!

Here  is little Big Man after he got himself ready for his party!
He is so handsome! 
He did his own hair...
And for some reason.. he was really into having a "mo-hawk"
haha :)


Here are a few pictures of him getting his special present from
Mommy and Daddy!


These next pictures are large, click them to see them bigger. :)


Daddy showing him how to do a few chords.


And playing a little song with daddy...
well trying to at least!

CAKE TIME!

I LOVE his smile!

Happy Birthday my little BIG Buddy Boo!!
Mommy LOVES YOU!!


14 comments:

  1. That is SO awesome!!!! I love doing cakes but never would have thought to do something like this. But i love working with fondant and such and different style tips for frosting. But your guitar cake is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Mama. I love the color of Bruce's real guitar. It is so striking. It looks like you had an absolutely wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a wonderful job, the cake looks marvellous! Bruce looks like he had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job and lot of fun! Impressive cake

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so talented!! That came out awesome. Any 5 year old would LOVE that cake...especially since it matched his gift!! Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday. I hope to see you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting... you did a great job I can well imagine how effortful it is ... very impressive...
    Hope you would like to pay a visit to me at
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome cake!! I love how you used so many different things to put it together. Very creative. I found your blog through "The Mrs." I commented on a post of hers after you, and I thought your comment was interesting so I checked out your profile and lo and behold, you and I are from the same neck of the woods. I grew up in Redding, CA... I am now on the North Cali Coast but I miss Redding and its' sunshine soooooo much! Take care. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a wonderful job mama. I too am impressed how you improvised for every detail, and it all came together so nicely. Big boy looks super happy with his new guitar. GREAT JOB!!!!

    Thanks for sharing, and I so would have loved a piece of cake, he he. Looks delicious.

    Hugs,

    Bella :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! I made one of these for my boyfriend a few years ago but used Junior Mints for the tuning knobs. Mine definitely didn't come out as nice as yours did, though!

    Megan
    www.CutTheCraft.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that cake is so cool!

    Though now I have a hankering for some cake and rice krispy treats.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. This cake is awesome! I've seen these cakes around, but never explained so clearly on how to make them - thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH my goodness that is SO clever! LOVE it! PS: Lovin the mohawk :) We would ♥ for you to show this off at our link party!

    Lolly Jane
    lollyjaneboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Maria Isabel! That boy is so cute! Btw, I'm admiring all your creative posts here so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey mama, you know I was blown away with this cake. Seriously impressed with how well it turned out.


    I loved it so much I FEATURED you, I hope it puts a smile on your face.

    Come grab a button girl, and display it proudly!

    **Features from week #35** @ Bella Before and After

    Thanks girl :)

    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Mommy Made. I hope you enjoyed this post. I look forward to hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...