Friday, January 14, 2011

Valentines Day Project #1 {Glitter Heart Crayons}

 
  Pin It

Every Valentines day I always create special Valentines Cards for Kiah to take to her class.
Usually they are unique photo cards! We always have a fun photo shoot, just for her cards too.
I was going to do the same thing this year, but then decided to do something different!

Ive seen these "old to new" crayons in fun shapes all over blog land. 
And actually made some with the kids during October, when I had found some fun pumpkin shape silicone molds on sale at Walmart! 
I told the kids to bring me all their old broken crayons, because we were going to make new ones!
They had a blast doing this! Kiah told all her friends about it, and she had said how much they liked the idea and wanted some.
SOOO.. I thought what a good idea to give as a Valentine!
This is just project ONE I have for Valentines.
I'll be posting the other ones through out the week. :)

Check out these excited faces!

So not that you really need a tutorial.. you can find them all over the internet.
But I feel like sharing anyways! 

So Here are the supplies we used!
I decided new crayons would be best since we were giving them away.
I found the heart silicone molds at ross for only $2!!
Glitter from Walmart
And those adorable baggies at the Dollar Tree! :)

First preheat the oven to 300

I had the kids help me, by peeling all the paper off the crayons.


I kinda wanted to keep the colors the same. But I thought for the kids it would be more fun to mix two colors. In each mold is 2 jumbo crayons.

It was the hubs idea for this pink and green heart. Pink on one side and Green on the other. Rather than "mixed".


Set the mold on an old baking tray. And stick in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes!


These are the crayons we had left after filling 12 molds. So we can make 4 more, for a total of 16 "new" Crayons.

We had a healthy snack while we waited for the crayons to bake.

After they are done baking, I took the white glitter and poured it into each mold while it was still all liquidy.


Most of the glitter floated to the top..

Let them cool for about 4 hours.. then they pop easily out of the molds!!
Kiah mentioned how they look like colorful heartshaped reeses peanut butter cups!
They do.. mMmmmmMmm :)

Then put them in their baggies! I am probably going to make some printable labels to attach to the baggies. If I do, I will definitely share them with you! :)

I think the kids will really like these! :) Kiah was very excited about this project. She was only bummed that she has to wait until Valentine's Day to give them out! :)

What projects are you working on for your kids Valentines??



Gonna Party it up {here}

9 comments:

  1. Those are really cute! If I had kids I would do that...maybe I'll make some for the nieces and nephew:)

    I came by from the Fancy This blog hop:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute! would love for you link up at our crafty saturday link up party!

    http://tosewwithlove.blogspot.com/2011/01/crafty-saturday-link-up-party-no-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these. I want to make some for my daughter's pre school class. I like the idea of the silcone cupcake liners. Thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving this idea!! I bet the kiddos enjoy these as their Valentine gift!!! Thanks so much for linking to Fancy This Fridays!!! Can't wait to see your other Valentine projects! Hope you'll link them as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just too wonderful and really one of the things I just have to do. Period. Thanks so much. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! You were featured in our blog:

    http://tosewwithlove.blogspot.com/2011/01/crafty-saturday-link-up-party-no-4.html

    can't wait to see what you have for next week! ^^^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just to cute! Thanks for sharing such a great idea

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Mommy Made. I hope you enjoyed this post. I look forward to hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...